Fashion Worn in Movies

Dress Like You’re in Your Favorite Hallmark Holiday Movie

November 24, 2019
Mingle All the Way | Hallmark Holiday Channel

Thanksgiving, who?? It’s basically December, which means that the final countdown to Christmas starts now! Every year, my holiday tradition involves grabbing my favorite blanket and leaving the hot chocolate to simmer on the stove while I prepare to watch Hallmark holiday movie number five, six, seven.

It doesn’t matter that I’ve probably seen this exact plot play out with the same type of characters (but different actors), in another small town. I’m 100% invested and ready to be hit with holiday spirit.

The best part about watching Hallmark holiday movies is always the female lead’s gorgeous, Instagram worthy closet. From the sleek workwear to the laid back, trendy sweaters, every outfit looks so easy to copy.

My favorite Hallmark holiday movie of all time, “Mingle All the Way“, may not follow their prize plot formula, but it also doesn’t skimp out on the wardrobe. Jen Lilley, whose instagramΒ is filled with the perfect balance of stunning magazine shootsΒ and sweet snapshots of her family life, brings life to the boring, monotone work look we’re so used to seeing.

But don’t just stop at binge-watching Hallmark’s TV schedule. Here’s how you can bring holiday cheer from your favorite movies to your closet.

1. The “Workaholic Who Has No Time for Holidays” Business Casual Look

Welcome to Christmas | Hallmark Holiday Channel

Welcome to Christmas | Hallmark Holiday Channel

The movie opens with the lead in an intense meeting with her boss, on the verge of a promotion or being fired. If it’s the former, she is sent to a new town on assignment or gets a phone call about a family emergency that forces her to take some time off and visit. If it’s the latter, she has no choice but to move back home for the holidays until she figures out her life.

2. The Not-so-Winter-Ready “I’ve Been Dropped Off in a New Town and I’m Out of My Element” Outfit

Every Christmas Has a Story | Hallmark Holiday Channel

Every Christmas Has a Story | Hallmark Holiday Channel

You know the one. After spending hours traveling to a faraway town in the middle of nowhere, the lead usually steps out of the car in gorgeous designer clothes and ridiculously high heels or is under dressed for the cold weather. The contrast between her sleek outfit and that of the holiday obsessed, outgoing residents is hard to miss.

3. The Bright, Eye-Catching “Chance Meeting with an Old Flame or New Love Interest” Statement Piece

Mingle All the Way | Hallmark Holiday Channel

Mingle All the Way | Hallmark Holiday Channel

This is always the best part. Sparks fly when the big time lawyer or developer crosses paths with the local chef, or owner of the only bed and breakfast in town. Mingle All the Way takes a more unconventional but still fun approach to this trope.Β  If you’re looking to make your own connections and first impression, you need to dress the part. This statement piece can come in the form of a dress, coat or even your handbag.

Mingle All the Way | Hallmark Holiday Channel

Mingle All the Way | Hallmark Holiday Channel

4. The “Family Business is Failing So I Need to Come Up With a Plan, STAT” Comfy-Casual Look

Christmas Land | Hallmark Holiday Channel

Christmas Land | Hallmark Holiday Channel

This is where the lead makes the slow transition from cold office worker, outsider to empathetic daughter, niece, neighbor. Instead of stiff pantsuits and stilettos, you’ll start to see a change in her closet under the influence of the town and the resident hottie.

Mid-Rise Raw-Edge Rockstar Ankle Jeans for Women, $35

Mid-Rise Raw-Edge Rockstar Ankle Jeans for Women, $35

5. The “Cinderella Moment” Dress is Hallmark Holiday Movie Gold

A Majestic Christmas | Hallmark Holiday Channel

A Majestic Christmas | Hallmark Holiday Channel

This moment doesn’t need any explanation.

6. The “I Finally Understand the True Meaning of Christmas (And Love) and Am Here for It”Β Sweater

Switched for Christmas | Hallmark Channel

Switched for Christmas | Hallmark Channel

Is it really a Hallmark holiday movie if someone (usually Candace Cameron Bure) isn’t rocking a cheery Christmas sweater underneath the mistletoe? This final addition to your closet will prepare you for a cozy, warm evening with your loved ones while your hot chocolate is cooling off and the movie cue is ready to go.

marjiemare
    December 3, 2018 at 12:01 am

These are all wonderful outfit that will make our holiday jolly. I love the red jacket the most.

organisedmumlife
    December 3, 2018 at 8:05 am

Ooh what a great idea for a post, love the red jacket. Very festive!

Kristine Nicole Alessandra
    December 3, 2018 at 8:13 am

I love that chunky scarf! The colors are so nice and it is definitely going to keep me warm! I don’t usually wear dresses but that green one looks so beautiful I might actually buy it!

Busie D
    December 3, 2018 at 12:30 pm

These are all gorgeous outfits and you can’t go wrong with any of them. Especially love the red jacket and scarf

genaadventure
    December 3, 2018 at 1:05 pm

This post gives me life! Especially now that I am so into Christmas season πŸ™‚

livelikekat
    December 3, 2018 at 3:23 pm

Ah, Hallmark movies <3 I watch them all the time around Christmas and they're wonderful!

The Color Coded Mom
    December 3, 2018 at 7:13 pm

This is such an adorable premise! I love all of these outfits! What a great idea.

fashionandstylepolice
    December 4, 2018 at 6:50 pm

This is such a lovely post. I love the style ideas you got here. Beautiful outfits for sure.

aisasami
    December 5, 2018 at 1:17 pm

This is great. I love the fashion eatured on Hallmark movies, even though I want to wear the Princess dresses.

Aditya Tiwari
    December 6, 2018 at 12:13 am

People want movies like this in my country and I really like the concept the channel is coming up with it. I like Red Scarf looks like Harry Potter one especially Gryffindor one.

zina
    December 6, 2018 at 5:59 am

O!!! This is a great post! And the outfits you propose, are goregeous! All of them amazing…but I do not wear any Christmas sweater!

MummytoDex
    December 6, 2018 at 11:51 am

This year I am all about the baggy Christmas jumpers and leggings due to being 38 weeks pregnant right now! But I am loving some of your style picks. I’ve never seen a Hallmark move, we usually just have Polar Express on the TV on repeat!

The Panicked Foodie
    December 7, 2018 at 3:46 pm

It’s hard to believe, but I still have not watched a single Hallmark movie yet!! I love the idea of your post though, to dress like the Hallmark movies. Loved all of the outfits.

Beola
    December 7, 2018 at 3:58 pm

Beautiful and gorgeous outfits, I am a lover of red during festive season, but that green maxi dress also caught my eye. All the outfits are outstanding

Kemi
    December 7, 2018 at 4:07 pm

Christmas will not force me to buy new clothes…maybe a fax fur jacket I’ve been eyeing and another pair of boots for my closet, but I prefer to layer and structure existing clothes. Add patterned tights to a dress or skirt, colourful shawl, gloves and muffler and you’re done.

Nina
    December 12, 2018 at 2:18 pm

I think my favorite outfit of them all is the Cinderella dress. Of course I just love dresses in general. I love your explanations for each look. Too funny!

Tina Whyte
    December 1, 2019 at 11:38 pm

Jen Lilley in “Mingle All the Way” wears a beautiful long green dress with short black lace ruffle sleeves in one of the scenes. Do you happen to know the designer or where it’s sold?

Cassandra Rose
      December 4, 2019 at 10:24 pm

Let me search around and get back to you once I find something!