Photo: Jane The Virgin Official Facebook | The CW
The first time that I watched Jane The Virgin, I couldn’t believe that I found someone on TV who sounded like me. She’s a woman of color, a writer and comes from a family of immigrants. What shocked me the most is the fact that she also dresses like me.
Jane Villanueva lives the telenovela lifestyle but without the big budget wardrobe that usually goes along with it. The show is four seasons in, and I can still picture every single outfit she wears in my closet. And that’s important.
Jane’s style is influential because of how accessible—and real—it is. In her daily life, Gina Rodriguez is already a role model who actively advocates for women’s rights and for women of color to be cast in leading, non-stereotypical roles. As a WOC, seeing how normal her character is helps continue that conversation.
I love that Jane’s personality and closet breaks the stereotypes that most latina characters are forced to fit in to. Her wardrobe shows there’s room for more.
Jane’s style is always on point, easy to copy and affordable. You can walk into your nearest Target or Old Navy and find at least three different outfits that could fit in seamlessly with the show.
Here’s how you can steal her style on a realistic budget!
1. Go straight from Instagram photo shoot to the office.
2. If you’re having dinner for two, take a page from Jane’s style book and wear a cutout lace dress.
3. Channel spring in Jane’s signature floral top (her closet is packed with them!).
4. Finally, a casual outfit for the weekend that isn’t boring.
5. Get your twirl on in this cute halter dress.
6. Slip on a sexy lace dress like Jane’s if you’re going out for drinks.
7. Every girl needs one outfit that they can dress up or down in their closet. A slimming button up dress is it!